Good morning, Nashville. We really love it when we can start off the week with some good news, like telling you that the TVA is doing something other than slinging toxic sludge all over our state and also some other states. They’re planning to lower our rates by another 4% starting July 1st, meaning that we’re at least getting a little closer to recovering from that 20% hike that they instituted back with we were shelling out $4 for gas. This round of cuts will shave an estimated $2-5 on the average person’s electricity bill. Hey, we’ll take what we can get.
- Abortion amendment up for House vote. An amendment to the Tennessee Constitution that would allow the state to beef up abortion restrictions is set to be voted on by the House today. According to the state’s process for approving constitutional amendments, if it passes, it would still have to be passed again by 2/3 of the next General Assembly in 2011 and 1/3 of voters during the gubernatorial election next year. So basically, it’s still a long way off.
- Weekend cockfighting sting. Close to 400 people were arrested over the weekend in Lewis County and charged with various cockfighting- and drug-related offenses. The authorities, which included the US Department of Agriculture, the FBI, the TBI, and the Tennessee Highway Patrol, were tipped off by members of the Humane Society.
- Bits & pieces. That guy in White County who was charged with 125 different sex crimes against children is scheduled to appear in court today … TNGOP Chair Robin Smith tendered her resignation over the weekend and hinted at a future bid for Rep. Zach Wamp’s soon-to-be-vacant congressional seat … Two elephants, Ned and Bunny, have passed away in the past two weeks at the elephant sanctuary in Hohenwald, TN … Just what we wanted to hear: More rain = more mosquitoes.
Photo by sweetvenus.
- Bright & Early: Just Another Manic Monday Edition
- Bright & Early: Monday, Monday Edition
- Bright & Early: People Kill People Edition
- Bright & Early: Much Ado Edition