- We’d like to extend a welcome to our new residents from Chicago, New York and Knoxville if this LinkedIn report is right about where all of our new folks are coming from.
- The Nashville Predators and Metro government have reached an agreement on a 30-year lease extension that would reduce the subsidy the city pays to the team as an incentive to keep the building busy with concerts and other events. There are various capital improvement plans in the works for the 23-year-old building.
- Of course, that is if random flaming delivery vans don’t burn it down first. 🚒
- The widow of George Jones actually isn’t a fan of the mural that shows the late country singer riding a lawnmower to the liquor store.
- Rain and higher ticket prices did not put a damper on the 78th running of the Iroquois Steeplechase where a horse named Scorpiancer won his second race in three years. Recent moves to legalize sports betting has organizers interested in adding it to the event.
- The done-deal to give Amazon $17.5 million in incentives became actually done this week when the Industrial Development Board finalized the details already approved by the Metro Council. The State of Tennessee is moving forward with a $65 million plan through the contract process.
- While not sure if there’s still beer down there (and not drinking it if there is), crews are using radar to search for Civil War-era beer cellars that could be hidden under downtown. 🍻
- If you are hoping to go to a four-day work week, you should totally send this news story to your boss to help make your case.
- A new law imposing fines on any errors in large-scale voter registration drives has drawn several lawsuits within weeks of it being signed into law by Governor Bill Lee. The new rules would require mandatory training for voter registration groups and fine them up to $10,000 if more than 500 of the submissions have errors, among other restrictions.
- A sixth dockless scooter company called Bolt has been spotted around Nashville, bringing the total number of scooter options up to six. We are pretty sure it’s six, but might have lost count. 🛴
- There’s a new roundabout in Bellevue, it is not getting exactly glowing reviews from residents or a
MTAWeGo Public Transit bus driver who got stuck trying to navigate it. Officials say it will take some time to get used to it.
- Police say a man assaulted an Uber driver who was dropping off another passenger for blocking the road, though we kind of wonder who rolls down the window when an angry person leaves their to come yell at them.
- The Nashville Scene‘s cover story last week was “The Faces of Local Activism,” giving you a look into the people trying to make our city and state a better place.
- A WSMV investigation tells us that if you are going to rent one of those bounce houses for a party, make sure the company hasn’t been barred from doing so by the state.
Photo by Thomas Hawk. Want to see your photo featured here?