Good morning, Nashville, and happy first day of Summer. Today is the longest day of the year and probably also one of the hottest so far. Our friends over at Nashville WX tell us that this summer might be one for the record books with hotter-than-usual temperatures continuing through the end of June. And July. And August. And September. We’re pretty much melting just thinking about it. We all know that with the heat come the air quality alerts, and fortunately Metro has created a special Twitter account for just such an occasion.
- So much trash. We hated watching one of our favorite parks transform into a landfill last month, so we’re happy to report that the temporary flood waste dump sites are finally ready to be shut down. Metro will be dividing up the trash among some different landfills in the region.
- Good news. Tennessee prisons’ recidivism rates fell by 3% between 2001 and 2005, meaning that inmates are less likely to commit another crime once they’re released from prison.
- Bits & pieces. The Preds traded team captain Jason Arnott back to the New Jersey Devils over the weekend … Ford Motor Company picked Metro Nashville Public Schools as a model of high school reform … The grand jury will not be reopening Steve McNair’s murder investigation … Williamson County police discovered a mobile meth lab in the trunk of a car last week.
Photo by weownthisdoug.
- Bright & Early: Could Be Worse? Edition
- Bright & Early: The Saga Continues Edition
- Happy Hour: Have A Comcastic Weekend
- Bright & Early: Hat Tricks & Drunk Birds Edition