Your long-awaited Weekendist is back! It’s not often that we have so much happening in one weekend during the winter months, so much so that we’re dubbing this weekend “March Madness” (at least for us). Get out and enjoy the sun & mid-50′s temperatures, and take your pick from the madness.
- Ani DiFranco with Erin McKeown. 9pm, Cannery Ballroom, $38. Ani DiFranco needs no introduction from us. She’s playing tonight at the Cannery, and tickets are still available.
- Tyler James CD release show. 8pm, 12th & Porter, $5/$10 with CD. With Peter Barbee, Keegan DeWitt and other special guests. Though Tyler James has been relentlessly playing his music for years, both around Nashville and on the road, he’s waited until now to release a debut full-length record. Whether you know Tyler’s music from Ten out of Tenn, or you’re more familiar with his solo work, we think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you try on It Took The Fire for size.
- PodCamp Nashville. 9am-4pm, afterparty 4-7pm, Cadillac Ranch, free. What more can we say that hasn’t already been said? What are you waiting for, get yourself down to PodCamp!
- Wines of the World. Nashville Farmer’s Market, 4pm, $15. Spend an afternoon tasting unique wines from Australia and South Africa at the Farmer’s Market with Sommelier Christopher Stowe and Chef Donny Wilson (Jackson’s).
- Pikes Peak Derby Dames All Stars vs. Music City All Stars. 6:30pm, Tennessee State Fairgrounds, $10 advance/$15 door. You know what this means… the roller derby girls are back for another sure-to-sell-out bout, so get your tickets in advance online or from your trusted rollergirl source.
- First Saturday Art Crawl. 6-10pm, downtown, free. We’re absolutely thrilled that it’s ever-so-slightly warmer this week, as it makes gallery-hopping much more fun. Grab some friends and head downtown to sip wine, browse art and other handmade crafts, and spend a few hours wandering around between 4th & 5th Avenues.
- Mamma Mia! 1pm, 6:30pm, TPAC, $31-71. Catch this week’s limited run of Broadway’s Mamma Mia! on closing day. Of course, you could also go Friday (8pm) or Saturday (2pm, 8pm). Tickets range from $31-71 and are still available for all showings, but the Saturday afternoon showing is the closest to selling out. You’ve been warned.
- Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks. 2pm, Bridgestone Arena. See our freshly-returned Olympians take on those darn Canadians yet again at Sunday’s matinee game, or just head down to admire the shiny new signs on our Bridgestone Arena. Get your tickets now, or keep your eyes peeled for those frequent day-of $10 sales.
- Oscar Night America. 5:30pm/7pm, Belcourt Theatre, $50-$250. Dust off your finery and hit the red carpet at the Belcourt’s annual Oscar Night America fundraiser, one of just two Academy-sanctioned viewing events in the state. Tickets to the gala and live telecast are $50 for Belcourt members, $75 for non-members, but if you want to hit up the patron’s party beforehand, it’ll cost you a bit more… But we hear it’s always worth it.
- They Might Be Giants at Exit/In. Sorry folks – Unless you already got your tickets to see They Might Be Giants perform Flood in its entirety, you’re out of luck, because this one’s sold out. We got our tickets, did you? (Hey, we can’t help but gloat every once in a while… and there’s always Craigslist.)
Photo by Zlatko Unger.
- The Weekendist: Films, Basketball, Beer And Benefits Edition
- The Weekendist: Just Breathe Edition
- The Weekendist: Full-Blown Fall Fest Edition
- The Weekendist: Mule Day Edition
- The Weekendist: This Little Piggy Went To Market Edition