- Pop star Taylor Swift endorsed Democratic candidates Gov. Phil Bredesen (US Senate) and Rep. Jim Cooper (US House) last night and encouraged her fans to be sure to register to vote. 2018 is weird, y’all.
- Nashville culinary icon Patti Myint died Sunday following a cardiac event last week, leaving behind a family legacy of restaurants that began with the 1975 opening of International Market near Belmont. Myint was 73.
- Despite a large budget shortfall and concerns over future debt, Nashville’s remains a strong investment according to the major bond rating companies. The city is looking to sell $755 million in bonds to cover approved projects.
- District Attorney Glenn Funk’s decision to sidestep using a grand jury to charge officer Andrew Delke in the shooting death of Daniel Habreck may have been related to the police shooting simulator that the empaneled jurors used earlier this year. A former judge says the simulator could bias jurors to side with police in such cases.
- An MTSU study shows uneven foul calling on women’s basketball teams at historically black colleges and universities. Eight of the 15 most penalized teams were HBCUs.
- Sometimes the headline says it all: Man overdoses, escapes ambulance, steals car in South Nashville. Police found the suspect asleep at the wheel after he crashed into several cars on I-24.
- If you have not yet made it over to the new Tennessee State Museum at Bicentennial Mall, be sure to check it out. Admission is free.
- Police say a bounty hunter shot another man while attempting serve warrant yesterday afternoon at a Popeye’s Chicken in North Nashville. The man is recovering from non-life-threatening injuries.
- The Tennessee Titans (3-2) lost Sunday on a last-second field goal to the Buffalo Bills (2-3) 12-13. The Titans host the Baltimore Ravens (3-2) next Sunday at Nissan Stadium.
- The Nashville Predators (2-0-0) are off to a good start following a 3-2 win over the New York Rangers (0-3-0) Thursday night at Madison Square Garden and a 4-3 win over Barry Trotz’s new team, the New York Islanders (1-1-0) Saturday night in Brooklyn. The Predators open their home season tomorrow night against the Calgary Flames (1-1-0).
- Vanderbilt football (3-3) lost to the #2 ranked University of Georgia (6-0) 41-14 Saturday afternoon. The Commodores host #14 Florida (5-1) next Saturday at Dudley Field.
PSA: Tomorrow (October 9) is the final day to register to vote in Tennessee for the November election. If you are already registered, double-check your registration online.
Photo by Wade Brooks. Want to see your photo featured here?