- A Texas woman and “aspiring singer” allegedly shot a homeless man twice late last month because he complained about her car’s exhaust near where he was sleeping, and Metro police are not really buying her “self defense” story. The 53 year-old victim is recovering at Vanderbilt.
- And because this is Nashville, we’re going to let you compare her musical ability versus that of the victim and see which one you prefer.
- The mayor’s office announced a complaint hotline (out of Utah?) for short-term Airbnb-like rentals that are hosting rowdy parties or other general shenanigans. We’re a bit skeptical, given the company’s close ties to the industry.
- Bridgestone Arena received almost $6 million in rennovations over the summer, complete with a frozen mixed drink bar, “bunker suites” and a craft beer garden.
- GlassDoor.com says that Nashville comes in ranked 20th for jobs this year, with Memphis taking the 6th spot. The survey is of site users that reviewed companies nationwide.
- Fresh off their “What happens when you screw up your recycling bin?” post, WPLN takes on a bunch more questions many of us have had about recycling in Nashville.
- MDHA has re-opened applications for Section 8 housing vouchers for the first time since 2015, but finding a landlord that will accept them is not always easy.
- Metro schools voted last night not to share the contact information for students and faculty with the Achievement School District, prompting a showdown with the state-run agency.
- A staffing company has recruited an unspecified number of homeless residents from Nashville to assist with Hurricane Harvey cleanup. Advocates are not convinced the jobs are in their best interests, and some have already returned to Nashville.
Photo by Will Powell.