- Last week was a rough one for the MNPD: Officer Eric Mumaw, a 14-year veteran of the department, was killed in the process of preventing a suicide in Madison. Tributes about Officer Mumaw poured in from all over, lights all around town were turned blue, and hundreds gathered for a candlelight vigil on Friday night. The woman that Officer Mumaw was trying to save survived, and has been charged with vehicular homicide.
- There’s a guy with a goat named Deer that we’ve been seeing around town quite a bit lately, and because we can’t have nice things, he’s now being investigated for kicking the goat.
- On a happier note, Girl Scout cookie distribution has begun! If you didn’t pre-order, there will be plenty of adorable cookie-bearing Girl Scouts all over town that will be happy to sell them to you.
- Butch Spyridon, CEO of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp., supports a temporary moratorium on investor-owned short-term rental properties in Nashville. But, as the Nashville Business Journal points out, Spyridon received a permit back in March to rent out one of his own properties in East Nashville that he doesn’t live in.
- Tennessee babies are about three times more likely to be born addicted to opioids as babies are in the rest of the country.
- If you were watching the Puppy Bowl yesterday, you probably saw a couple of Tennessee’s cutest adoptable canines!
- There’s a battle brewing in Midtown between live music bars and residents who chose to live in Music City but do not enjoy loud music.
- Since it’s 2017 and anything can happen, Nelly played a very nice classical-ish concert with the Nashville Symphony over the weekend, but said he’s probably not going country.
Photo by SunnyGoller.