Good morning, Nashville. We’ve been hearing some buzz this year about the wine in grocery stores debate coming back to the forefront in the legislature. Turns out lawmakers are considering several proposals that could at least get us a little closer to being able to buy wine in the grocery store like normal people. Option one would simply allow grocery stores to sell wine like any other product. Option two would allow them to sell wine as long as it’s only consumed in the store (Bar Kroger, anyone?!) Option three would allow localities to vote on it.
- Minorities on the rise. According to the latest US Census data, minorities now make up almost 60% of the youth population in Davidson County. In Rutherford County, whose overall population has just about doubled in the last ten years, 32% of those under 18 are minorities.
- Symphony finally gets some new pianos. The Nashville Symphony has already replaced one of the Steinway grand pianos they lost in the flood last year, and the second is on its way from Hamburg, Germany and will hopefully be in Nashville sometime next month. With the exception of some remaining work on the pumping system, they’ve nearly made a full recovery.
- Bits & pieces. A species of salamander that only lives in Tennessee caves warrants federal protection, according to US Fish and Wildlife, but it won’t be added to the endangered species list just yet … The Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival/Japan Relief event went off without a hitch … A brand new Mobile Market food truck featuring fresh produce has been making the rounds around some parts of town that don’t have much access to healthy food, thanks to the Frist Foundation … University of Tennessee hired a replacement coach and it was not Rick Byrd … Parents and students at Hillsboro High School are fighting the transfer of a beloved teacher to another school.
Photo by Ashton Ballard.
- Why Not Wine: Where’s Our Two Buck Chuck?
- Bright & Early: Wine Whine Edition
- Bright & Early: Some Cheese With That Whine Edition
- Bright & Early: Just Like Fine Wine Edition
- Tonight: Grace’s Plaza Wine & Spirits Grand Opening