Good morning, Nashville. So how about that snow last night? And that commute? We don’t even want to talk about that commute, really. Though only about 1-3 inches of snow coated the city, the roads turned into a sheet of ice within minutes and reportedly left many folks sitting in rush hour traffic for 4-5 hours. Cars were left abandoned on the side of the road (and in the middle of the road?), dozens of accidents were reported and police were forced to only respond to injury wrecks, of which there were plenty. Because salt only melts snow down to about 26 degrees and it is 9 degrees as we write this, we don’t expect to see things clear up much this morning and police are urging commuters to stay home. Also, if you strike out to find the car you ditched yesterday and isn’t where you left it, it’s probably in Metro’s impound lot. Contact them at (615) 862-7800. You’ll also want to plan on shelling out a $10 fine plus towing costs.
- Flood babies! There was a running joke during the May flood that Nashville might experience a sizable baby boom nine months later. Well, we weren’t kidding! Area hospitals are having to beef up their delivery room staff to handle the demand.
- Back in business. Sixty Spring Hill GM employees were able to return to their jobs this week for the first time since the plant was idled in November 2009. They’re getting the plant ready for a new four-cylinder engine line that could create 400 jobs for laid-off workers.
- Bits & pieces. Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt is being accused of “theft by deception” in New Jersey for promising to pay bail bonds for some friends and then never paying … State Sen. Mae Beavers filed a bill on behalf of the Tea Party requiring presidential candidates to produce their birth certificate before they’re allowed on the Tennessee ballot … Metro Schools accidentally robo-called all parents in Arabic yesterday … When it’s all said and done, those Garth Brooks will have raised $5 million for flood relief.
Photo by Kerry Woo.
- Bright & Early: Snow, Etc. Edition
- Bright & Early: Tut Tut, Looks Like… Snow?
- Bright & Early: Something About Snow Edition
- Bright & Early: All Uphill From Here Edition
- Bright & Early: It’s Never Going To Snow Here Edition