One of these days, we’ll bring you the Weekendist early enough for Friday night fun. As it stands, here we are at midnight, which technically means you could still wake up, check your RSS reader, and dash off to Murfreesboro for the 7am Tour de Cure. Or maybe not.
As usual, there’s a lot going on in Nashville this weekend (although we’re curious about why half of them are in Centennial Park on Sunday). The list includes Pride 2008, Family Reunion ’08, Special Edition Bush-McCain Challenge, Urban Dare, Music City Cajunfest, Franklin Food & Spirits Festival, Musica de la Gente Festival, and more. Since we’ve already covered most of the events individually, this edition of the Weekendist brings you some additional suggestions to get you through the weekend. Don’t forget to dispose of your household’s hazardous waste tomorrow.
- 7am, Murfreesboro Downtown Square: Tour de Cure – This event could technically go through Sunday… If you’re planning on riding the 150 mile course, that is. Choose from 20, 40, 70 or 150 mile courses to benefit the American Diabetes Association.
- 9am, Bicentennial Mall: 2nd Annual 5K VisionWalk – Word is that there will be a bouce house, clowns, face painting, DJs, and free food. Oh, and it benefits the Foundation Fighting Blindness, so that’s good too.
- 9am-2pm, Hartman Park Regional Center: Health In The Park Day – “Be a witness, stand up for fitness.” Entertainment, food, health screenings, giveaways, clinics, the whole nine yards.
- 10am-2pm: Richland Creek Cleanup
- 10am-3pm: North Nashville Community Day
- 10:30am: Young Democrats of America Minority Caucus
- 2pm & 8pm, TPAC: Jesus Christ Superstar
- 5pm, Grimey’s: My Morning Jacket “Evil Urges” Listening Party – This is a listening party only, the band will not be at Grimey’s. New My Morning Jacket + beer + free swag = good times.
- 6pm, Wildhorse Saloon: TNDP Annual Jackson Day Celebration
- 10pm & 12am, Belcourt Theatre: The Southern Classic Drag King Extravaganza – $12 at the door gets you admittance to what is bound to be a spectacular evening. No further explanation needed.
- 12pm-7pm, Traveller’s Rest Plantation: Traveller’s Rest Music Festival – We’re not actually sure if this is happening or not, but feel free to investigate and report back. Traveller’s Rest doesn’t mention the event on their website, so in our minds it’s not official. You have been forewarned.
- 1pm, Father Ryan High School Theater: Know Tibet – A benefit for Tibetan refugee children, suggested donation is $20/family or $10/adult. The performance features a modern dance and audio documentary presentation, Tibetan speakers, and musical guests.
- 6pm, Rocketown: The Almost, also featuring Emery, Envy On The Coast, Army Of Me.
Just an FYI… The Jimmy Fallon performances this weekend at Zanies have been canceled “due to a scheduling conflict.” Bummer.
Photo by Sammy8146.
- The Weekendist: Remember The Days Edition
- The Weekendist: Independence Day Essentials
- Nashville Symphony’s Free Regions Community Concerts [Better Late Than Never]
- The Weekendist: Bye Bye August Edition
- The Weekendist: It’s Getting Hot In Here Edition