- Nashville mayor John Cooper has instructed city agencies to ensure that the winter shelter program “be fully funded and 100 percent operational” following several days of mixed messages to homeless advocates and city officials.
- A WKRN report says that a call to 911 may go unanswered in Nashville, attributed to staffing issues and high call volume. 🚨
- Starting next month, archeologists will begin excavation and aerial photography of a slope at Fort Negley to gain a better understanding of the Civil War fort’s history. Last year’s survey indicated likely human remains, prompting the cancellation of a large mixed-use development at the site.
- The Metro School Board has decided to postpone a planning session for its Director of Schools search until January, debating whether the task should wait until after next August’s election.
- A million bucks will buy you a lot less house in Nashville these days, with the average square foot plummeting faster than any other city in the country.
- Metro Water Services announced details of their first rate increase in eight years, with the new rates going into effect January 1, 2020. The utility was recently listed among “financially distressed” by the State Comptroller. 🚰
- The property that’s home to Cannery Row and Mercy Lounge has been sold for $32 million to a developer.
- Luke Gregory, the CEO of Vanderbilt’s Monroe Carrel Jr. Children’s Hospital died Friday after a battle with lymphoma. Gregory was 63.
- A 26 year-old Nashville man became the first confirmed fatality in Tennessee attributed to a disease caused by vaping.
- The Nashville Scene has produced its annual “Best of Nashville” issue, summarizing the best of the best in Music City according to their writers and through a reader’s poll.
- WPLN reporter Blake Farmer received a prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award in New York City last week for his newswriting. 🏆
- The Tennessee Titans (3-4) managed to hold off the go-ahead score from the
San Diego Los Angeles Chargers (2-5) and force a fumble Sunday at Home to win their game 23-30. The Titans host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-4) next Sunday.
- The Nashville Predators (4-3-1) dropped a 5-2 game to the Arizona Coyotes (4-2-1) Thursday night and mounted a third period comeback to tie the game against the Florida Panthers (3-2-3) at home Saturday night, but lost the extra point in a shootout 3-2. The Preds host the Anaheim Ducks (6-2-0) Tuesday night.
- Speaking of the Preds, the team has decided to discontinue putting a pedal tavern on the ice at intermission after fans booed it off the ice. Riders had paid for a seat to benefit charity.
- And finally, enjoy this picture of meerkats for Halloween. 🎃
Photo by Tracie Hall. Want to see your photo featured here?