- Defenseman Roman Josi has been named team captain of the Nashville Predators, becoming the eighth in franchise history. He replaces the retired Mike Fisher.
- The Predators opened their preseason with a doubleheader against the Florida Panthers in a somewhat quiet Bridgestone Arena Tuesday night. They lost the first game 5-3 before winning the second 2-3.
- The city council of Portland, Tennessee briefly considered an ordinance that would have banned drag shows at a downtown bar, prompting protests on both sides. The council ultimately decided to defer the bill.
- District 33 will have a new councilwoman after Antoinette Lee won a low-turnout special election. She replaces Sam Coleman who was appointed General Sessions Judge after the the Casey Moreland fiasco.
- Sir Richard Branson was in town
to record a new country albumto break ground on a boutique hotel on Music Row, but not everybody is happy about the project.
- Buyer beware if you are thinking about getting a used car in the next year or two as flood damaged cars will be showing up around town.
- We were tipped off there will be a “Beer Slide” at Oktoberfest this year. Say what now?
- A group called “Homes For All Nashville” marched down Gallatin Avenue to City Hall to raise questions about the transit plan for light rail down that stretch. The group is part of the PATHE coalition that staged a similar march over the weekend.
- Nashville NBC affiliate WSMV may be dropped from AT&T Uverse and DIRECTV if a deal isn’t reached tomorrow over carriage fees paid to the station. Never hurts to have a backup digital antenna.
- Car thieves are using a high tech device to intercept keyfob radio signals to gain access to cars immediately after the owner walks away. The solution is to stand closer to your car when locking it with the remote.
Photo by Dave Edens.