- An explosion at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center forced the evacuation of 4,500 sheriffs and 500 regular ol’ people last night. The explosion, which caused $750,000 in damages to the hotel, is being attributed to a compromised gas line. No injuries have been reported and repairs are already underway.
- Metro Council voted 32-8 to approve next fiscal year’s budget, which includes a 53-cent property tax increase. The approved substitute budget is similar to Mayor Dean’s original proposed budget, but includes $8.6 million in cuts to be put into a debt reserve.
- Yesterday was a busy day for the Southern Baptists, who elected their first black President and also voted to adopt an alternate name, “Great Commission Baptists,”for churches who feel that the Southern Baptist title turns potential believers away.
- Props to The City Paper for always keeping us informed on the latest weird lawsuits involving Nashville. This week, Nashville-based Total Nonstop Action Entertainment has filed suit against Scott Steiner for “disparaging remarks” the pro wrestler made on Twitter against Hulk Hogan and other TNA employees.
- We might see a bit of severe weather this afternoon and evening as a cold front comes through. Scattered thunderstorms and high winds are most likely, though there is a small chance of hail and tornadoes. Just kidding, this is a link to an old story that somehow got mixed in to our stories today. No severe weather is good news, right? Sorry about that, folks!
- Bits & pieces: Autopsy reports confirm that local restauranteur Jay Luther died from accidental suffocation by carbon dioxide inhalation … BNA is the 34th-busiest airport in the US of A … AT&T’s 4G LTE mobile broadband network has arrived in Nashville … A gas station robbery on Charlotte Pike left a man without $600 and his pants.
Photo by Paul Beavers.