Good morning, Nashville, and happy first snow day of the year to the kiddos! Davidson, Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner and a host of other school systems in Middle Tennessee are closed for the day, making it the luckiest Friday the 13th to ever grace our state (for kids, at least). The dusting of snow we got yesterday afternoon gave way to slippery roads and black ice as the sun went down, and with temps in the teens overnight and into this morning, roads may still be slick. Stay safe!
- Bye bye. Just days after hitting the 600,000 room mark, the Music City Center has lost at least two conventions over concerns that the convention center will not be ready in time. The Southern Baptist Convention is backing out, as is the Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association.
- Potty talk. Tennessee Representative Richard Floyd has proposed a bill that would restrict public restroom and dressing room usage to members of the designated sex, and require birth certificate proof if there are any questions. Naturally, state transgender advocates are not pleased! The bill currently has no senate sponsor, but Rep. Floyd is “just sick and tired of society having to adjust to every little alternate life style, or little whim or someone who thinks they’re different” and plans to look for another senate sponsor.
- Bits & pieces. In other important news, “Will Ho Hos (and Twinkies) go the way of the dodo?” … The Preds are on a winning streak! … Metro Nashville Public Schools have hired a new coordinator of music … Tennessee business tax collections were way up in December, but officials don’t expect it to be a trend … Rutherford County made their first meth lab bust of 2012 … The owners of Hotel Indigo on West End are cranking the drama way, way up … Speaking of going up, that’s what airline prices are doing right now … Keith Urban’s first performance after vocal cord surgery will be at the Grand Ole Opry on February 3 … Nine mid-state Food Lions are among those closing nationwide … Governor Haslam has endorsed Republican candidate Mitt Romney for president.
Photo by raisinsawdust.
- Bright & Early: Snow On The Brain Edition
- Bright & Early: Something About Snow Edition
- Bright & Early: In The Snow, Uphill Both Ways Edition
- Bright & Early: Oh Snow It Didn’t Edition