- Garth Brooks is swooping into Nashville on December 17th to play a flood relief benefit concert at the Bridgestone, which is expected to raise somewhere around $500,000. [WPLN]
- A fancy-pants computer program stopped a violent sex offender from entering Smyrna Elementary School this week. School staff use the program to scan the IDs of people entering the building a cross-check them with several criminal databases. [WKRN]
- If you’ve ever wondered how much state employees make (or don’t make!) you can now dig through the updated salary database. [Tennessean]
- A TSU student was shot and killed near campus last night and the shooter is still on the loose. Police say the victim’s friends took him to Skyline Medical Center because they didn’t know of any closer hospitals. [WKRN]
- An MTSU building was evacuated today thanks to a suspicious package that turned out to just be a plain ol’ metal briefcase. [WTVF]
- Starting next August, Belmont students, faculty and staff will no longer be able to smoke anywhere on campus. And BePo will slap you with a big, fat fine if you do. [WKRN]
- Consider this your friendly reminder to plant those bulbs so that we have some pretty flowers to stare and sniff in the spring! [Tennessean]
Photo by hikenandhistory.