Good morning, Nashville. Sure, there’s the pig flu still running rampant and lots more rain in the forecast and GM trying to bum $9 billion more from the feds, but the biggest news of the day is obviously that Dolly Parton is finally getting her honorary doctorate from UT-Knoxville this morning. The doctorate in humane and musical letters is intended to honor “her dedication to education, children and life-long learning” through her Imagination Library books-from-birth program. So congratulations, Dolly! You deserve it.
- Duggars in TN. Speaking of Dolly, her annual homecoming parade in Pigeon Forge is happening this evening at 6pm in Pigeon Forge, and that gigantic Duggar family from TLC–all 20 of them–will have their own float because they decided to take a family vacation to Pigeon Forge for some reason.
- Budget cuts. Davidson County and Tennessee are at risk of losing about $600,000 annually if President Obama decides to stop reimbursing state and local prisons for housing criminals who are also undocumented immigrants. A cut like this could put a pretty big dent in 287(g) local immigration enforcement programs like the one here in Davidson.
- Bits & pieces. Senator Bob Corker says he’s fine with having a homosexual justice on the Supreme Court … A homeless guy in Inglewood may have saved a woman’s life last night by knocking on her door at 1am to tell her that the vacant house next door was on fire … People tweet about lots of things, says the Tennessean.
Photo by prawnpie.
- Bright & Early: Outside Looking In Edition
- Is There A Doctor In The House? [We Love Dolly]
- Bright & Early: Maybe We Can’t Sag If We Want To Edition