Here at Nashvillest, we think Thursday is the perfect time to bring you our weekend picks. We like to think of it as giving you a head start. Who doesn’t like a long weekend? Particularly if it includes… Zombies?
- Films At The Frist, 7pm – The Frist Center is showing the film Lust For Life (NR) for free on Friday evening.
- Tango By Moonlight, 7pm – Friday also kicks off Tango Nashville‘s free summer tango festivities in Centennial Park. Features live music, performances and an introductory lesson.
- Dual Record Release: AutoVaughn & De Novo Dahl, 9pm – Local favorites AutoVaughn and De Novo Dahl are releasing new records this week. The double whammy is at The Cannery Ballroom and costs $10 at the door. Oh, and has anyone heard of The Pink Spiders? Good, because they’re opening. If you ask us, that’s quite the bit of local big-name bang for your buck.
- Vanderbilt and Belmont Graduations, all day – We recommend you stay far away from both of these campuses and the surrounding hotels and restaurants if you’re planning a casual day on the town. May we suggest Google Maps to plot out your detour of choice? All the same, our hats are off to you, grads!
- World Fair Trade Day, all day – Join our local Ten Thousand Villages to celebrate World Fair Trade Day. There will be free chocolate – fair trade, of course. We don’t need another reason to make it our first stop on Saturday.
- Iroqois Steeplechase, 1pm – General Admission tickets to the annual Steeplechase are still available ($15). The hill opens at 8, but the first race isn’t until 1. Make this a group outing and pack a picnic! This year the festivities benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.
- Nashville Zombie Walk, 6pm – Ah, yes. What would a weekend list be without your everyday, typical zombie walk? If you plan on participating (we’re tempted), show up at Riverfront Park at 5. Otherwise, get down there by 6 and take some pictures for our Nashvillest flickr pool!
- Devotchka, 9pm – Think Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack if the name doesn’t sound familiar. Devotchka will be bringing the gypsy rock to The Mercy Lounge on Sunday night. $20 at the door.
It’s a good time to be a Nashvillian.
- Soundtrack For Your Weekend: Shiny Toy Guns, Paper Route and Meiko
- Weekend Edition: Pirates of Davidson County
- Get Your Dancing Shoes Ready: Dancing In The Park 2009
- This Weekend: Regions Free Day Of Music At The Nashville Symphony
- Free Fall Weekend At Cheekwood [Freebies]