Seven years ago this past May, Nashville experienced a natural disaster that would forever alter the lives of thousands of people in the city and surrounding region. The 2010 flood brought out the best in people and organizations, and made us proud to live in the Volunteer State.
The full effects of Hurricane Harvey will not be fully known for days, but we can already see an immediate need. We ask that you consider supporting these local relief agencies, as listed by the Houston Chronicle.
- The Greater Houston Community Foundation, like its Nashville counterpart, has been activated to coordinate direct relief efforts.
- The Houston Humane Society is in need of funds to help with assisting displaced animals. You can also donate to the the SPCA of Texas and Austin Pets Alive.
- The United Way of Houston has set up a relief fund.
- The Texas Diaper Bank provides assistance for parents in need.
- GoFundMe has consolidated a list of causes on their platform to support.
- Airbnb is waiving service fees for hosts donating their homes to evacuees.
As always, be vigilant against scams. Sites like Charity Navigator help verify that the non-profit is a legitimate agency and that your donation is going directly to those in need..