Good morning, Nashville. The city is getting ready to take on a big improvement project in the “North Gulch” which, as you might guess, is the area just north of the Gulch proper. The area they’re hoping to improve includes 12th Avenue South between Broadway and Demonbreun as well as McGavock Street between 11th and 13th avenues. Though the area is mostly railroad tracks and potholes at the moment, developers and restauranteurs have high hopes for sprucing it up, so Metro will be replacing sidewalks, repaving (maybe adding some lines to the road if we’re lucky?) and adding some streetlights to make it more palatable. All in all, they’re committing about $444,000 to the project.
- Connect four. Speaking of development projects, Metro has finally started building that 28th avenue connector they approved two years ago. The new stretch of street will hopefully make it easier to get from West End to North Nashville more easily and encourage development along that part of Charlotte.
- Student arrested for bomb threat. Nineteen year-old Carson Dunn, a Belmont student, was arrested for calling in a bomb threat earlier this week that forced a partial evacuation of Belmont’s campus. And it’s just as everyone suspected: Carson simply did not want to take his final exams.
- Bits & pieces. Be on the lookout for some severe weather this afternoon … Nashville’s median age has dropped a bit in the past ten years thanks to younger people moving into the city with small children … Jackalope Brewing is expected to open within this next few weeks. Read our interview with the ladies in charge from a few months back … The bill that would nullify Nashville’s latest anti-discrimination ordinance passed the Senate … Apparently you can fish with cicadas?
Photo by The Blonde Mule.
- Inauguration Day! [Road Closures]
- Happy Hour: Who’s Your American Idol?
- On The Day Of The Nashville Christmas Parade, Metro Gave To Us [Road Closures]