TGIF, Nashville. Enjoy your weekends. Here’s what we’re up to (okay, so we can’t fit it all in, but we WISH we could!) this weekend, in case you’re in need of some ideas.
- Tango at Twilight. 8pm-10pm, Centennial Park event shelter. The summer’s third-to-last Tango At Twilight is tonight. If you’ve been meaning to go but keep putting it off, it’s probably time to get ready to tango before it’s too late.
- Tennessee Flea Market. Tennessee State Fairgrounds, hours vary throughout the weekend. This is the weekend for the monthly flea market at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds, so bargain hunters rejoice! Get out there early to get the best deals.
- Love Is A Battlefield. Downtown Presbyterian Church, 7:30pm. Hosted by local humanitarian organization Blood:Water Mission, Love Is A Battlefield is a free event with donations accepted toward keeping the only HIV/AIDS clinic in Marsabit, Kenya open to provide care for local residents. The event tonight features Blue Like Jazz author Donald Miller along with local musicians Matthew Perryman Jones, Sandra McCracken, Sarah Masen and Justin Caldwell.
- BarCamp Chattanooga. 9am-5pm, Chattanooga State Technical College. Okay okay, so this isn’t exactly in Nashville, but if you’re in the mood for a day trip, come join us at BarCamp Chattanooga! We’ll be participating in a hyperlocal/cityblogging panel with the gentlemen from Chattarati and Knoxify, and we’d love to see you there.
- Ice Day. 9am-4pm, Nashville Zoo. Icy festivities to beat the heat all day at the Nashville Zoo! Treat the kids to popsicles and ice cream, water slides, an ice tent and all sorts of other icy fun. Regular zoo admission rates apply.
- Music City Brewer’s Festival. 12pm-4pm, 6pm-10pm; Hilton Park (downtown). Not to be the bearers of bad news, but tickets are completely sold out for both sessions. Hang around at the gate and maybe someone will take pity on you and scalp an extra ticket or two, or scrounge Craigslist for last minute tickets.
- Neko Case with Jason Lytle. 8pm at the Ryman Auditorium. Tickets are still available to see Neko Case at the Ryman on Saturday, much to our surprise, but they may not be available for much longer! Tickets are as low as $25, fairly inexpensive for a great show at a great venue.
- Trent Dabbs, Sarah Siskind and The Civil Wars. 8pm at the Mercy Lounge. Catch a preview of this year’s Ten out of Tenn lineup on Saturday night at the Mercy Lounge. For $7, you’ll get to see Trent Dabbs, Ten out of Tenn veteran and visionary; Sarah Siskind, a new addition to the Ten out of Tenn lineup this year as well as a brilliant songwriter and soulful vocalist; and The Civil Wars, a new group comprised of Joy Williams (also a new addition to this year’s Ten out of Tenn) and John Paul White. Their free live record has been looping at Nashvillest HQ for the past few weeks, and we can’t get enough.
- Big Band Dance. 7:30pm-10pm, Centennial Park event shelter. This week’s Big Band Dance is the Foxtrot, featuring the Merchants of Cool as the musical guests. Grab your dancing shoes and have some free fun dancing the night away this weekend!
- Take the day off. We’ve got nothin’.
Photo by rjones0856.
- Get Your Dancing Shoes Ready: Dancing In The Park 2009
- The Weekendist: Sparkly Sparkly Edition
- The Weekendist: Cicada Be Gone Edition
- The Weekendist: Party In The USA Edition
- The Weekendist: It’s June, Baby! Edition